Here are some photos from May 20, 2017, after New Port Richey Mayor Rob Marlowe swore in the new leadership of the WPHS. Mr. Marlowe is in some of the pictures, as is WPHS honorary board member Dr. Rao Musunuru.
Dr. Rao Musunuru is a significant benefactor of the West Pasco Historical Society. In 2011 the museum was named in his honor.
Thanks to the Seven Springs Garden Club for a donation to the West Pasco Historical Society! Here Michele Sakalian, President of the garden club, presents the check to Bob Langford, Board Chairman of West Pasco Historical Society.
Here are two recent views of the old DeCubellis home off of DeCubellis Road, and a view of what remains from an old school bus, probably one of the earliest school buses in the county. School board minutes show that Peter DeCubellis and A. D. Baillie were being paid to provide transportation to school children by 1931. These three photos were provided by Tom Boyd. A few years ago we photographed an old storage shed on the property, which I guess is now gone. It was on the property before the DeCubellis family moved there, and it was thought to have been the oldest surviving structure in western Pasco County.
Circle Service Station, New Port Richey, Donald E. Pierce, manager. This photo is from the late 1940s or possibly early 1950s. Pierce was the nephew of Lee Coast, who came to New Port Richey in 1951 and took over management of the service station.
Here is an interesting view looking onto Main Street from the Texaco Station at the corner of Main and Grand Blvd. The photo was provided by Helen Coast. She and her husband managed the gas station for many years. She does not remember the occasion for the photo, but it looks as if her husband’s car is decorated for a parade.
Henry Lee Coast, usually called Lee, managed the Texaco Station at Grand Blvd. and Main Street for many years. He and his wife Helen came to New Port Richey in 1951.
Helen Coast, looking great at age 101, with great grandchildren Robert and Kimee Gessel, at Helen’s residence on Florida Avenue. Helen Blair was born in Clintonville, Pennsylvania, on March 15, 1916. She and her husband Henry Lee Coast (1913-1998) came to New Port Richey in 1951 to benefit their son Charles’ health. (He’s still living at age 75.) They took over the lease from Donald E. Pierce, Lee’s nephew, to run Circle Service Station on Grand Blvd. The station was a Texaco station, and had existed since at least 1940. It was owned by Tarpon Chevrolet. Mr. and Mrs. Coast lived on Pennsylvania Ave. before they moved to Florida Ave.
Audrey O’Neil and her daughter Janet Hamblin were visitors to the museum today (4/22). Audrey for many years was a volunteer at the museum.
Pictures from the DeCubellis Celebration of 100 Years in Pasco are on the WPHS Facebook page and in this album on Flickr.
Florida Master Gardener Volunteer Mary Ellen Gotto was the guest speaker at the museum today (4/8). She did an excellent and interesting presentation on the topic of native Florida plants.
Visitors to the museum today (4/8) examine some old Chasco Festa photos. Frances Mallett is in the center.
Dana Jo Russ was a museum visitor today (4/8). She donated to us a photo album. Her late husband Eddie was descended from the Frierson family, who owned the residence that is now our museum.
Notable visitors to the historical society museum today (4/8): Melody Desjardins (GHS ’03) and Kayla Kuni (GHS ’04).