Grand Boulevard, looking north, about 1948 and on Dec. 24, 2015.
The Leeston-Smith Building was completed in December 1926. It was named for Ernest A. Leeston-Smith, who owned the building. He was one of the original owners of the Meighan Theatre. He was born in New Zealand and did not live here very long. A 1937 St. Petersburg Evening Independent article mentioned that Ed Wynn owned the former Leeston-Smith building. This building has been the site of Miller’s Bar, Miller’s Cafe, a bowling alley, the Crab Trap, Wahoo’s Dance Arcade, Sebastian’s Cafe, and many other businesses. The top photo apparently shows part of the building under construction. The bottom photo was taken Dec. 24, 2015.
We have changed the look of the West Pasco Historical Society web site, as we are now using WordPress. Two of the articles formerly on this site have been moved to fivay.org. They are the WPHS Obituary Database and the listing of burials at Pine Hill Cemetery. Thanks to Gulfcoast Networking for continuing to host our web site!
Here’s an item we just received from Walt Casson: the Bulletin for the final service of First Baptist Church in the 1926 building, Oct. 29, 1978.
You can see more pictures of First Baptist Church here.