Here are two photos taken at the museum today. In the first photo, Terry Kline prepares to hang a portrait of Alex Acey, who donated the museum building to the historical society. It had been a residence on Little Road. Museum volunteer Aidan Woodham looks on. In the second photo is Ethan Manus, one of our new volunteers.
Here are three old photos of Enchantment Park (now Sims Park) that we’ve had for a while but which we think we have now figured out what they show. We believe all three pictures were taken on Jan. 19, 1915, when about 200 persons from the New England Society of St. Petersburg held a picnic in the park. The event is described in the Tampa Morning Tribune and the article reports that a photographer took pictures.
Here’s a picture we came across recently. Written on the back is just “New Port Richey.” We don’t know where the photo was taken. On Facebook, people guessed the Cotee River, the Anclote River, and Orange Lake. The picture seems to be from the 1910s or possibly 1920s.
The former Spoonbill’s Bar and Grille at 5546 Main St., across from Sims Park, is to be demolished soon and be replaced by a Beef O’ Brady’s. The building originally housed North Funeral Home, opened by William A. North in Feb. 1961. The photo below, from the 1960s, shows North Funeral Home.
The new Sims Park is a hit with children. Photo taken on Feb. 3, 2016.
A view of our museum and part of the new Sims Park at night. Feb. 3, 2016.