Thanks, Ridgewood High School!

Thanks to Ridgewood High School for donating to the historical society a set of 22 old school yearbooks.

The yearbooks go back to the year the school opened, in 1978-1979, when Ridgewood was a junior high school.

The first yearbook to refer to the school as a high school is 1984, although in 1983-84 Ridgewood only taught grades 8 to 10. A grade was added each year.

Except for summer school, Ridgewood High School has closed, to become Wendell Krinn Technical High School in August.

Combined with the four Ridgewood yearbooks we already had, we now have 1979-1985, 1987-1994, 1999, 2001-05, 2007, and 2011-13.

Our other school yearbooks are:

Bayonet Point Middle School: 1986, 2000, 2001, 2005

Cotee River Elementary School: 1997

Gulf Middle School (top shelf): 1984, 1987-2008, 2010

Gulf High School: 1963, 1965, 1972, 1973, 1974-with Hudson, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1983-87, 1989, 1994, 2000-02, 2006-2015.

Hudson Middle School: 1999-2003

Hudson High School: 1974-with Gulf, 1975, 2006

Land O’ Lakes High School: 2008

Mitchell High School: 2006

Pasco High School 2006, 2009

Ridgewood High School: 1979-1985, 1987-1994, 1999, 2001-05, 2007, 2011-13

Schrader Elementary School: no date

Shady Hills Elementary School: 1996-1998

Zephyrhills High School: 2006

Our nascent collection of school yearbooks are the most popular books in our library. We do not check out books in our library.

Thanks again to Ridgewood High School for the great donation!

Museum visitors

Visitors to the museum on May 19 were Tim Richey, his father Wallace Pat Richey, and Tim’s wife Pamela Richey. They believe they are related to Aaron McLaughlin Richey (1837-1912), for whom Port Richey and New Port Richey are named.

Aaron Richey settled at the mouth of the Pithlachascotee River in December 1883 and soon after was granted a post office with the name Port Richey. The family moved to Tarpon Springs in 1891 to be near a doctor, and Mr. Richey later became Mayor of Tarpon Springs. Family members are buried in Cycadia Cemetery.

We looked at census records and were not able to confirm a relationship, but Pamela believes family members do have documentation that shows how they are related and she is currently working on obtaining the records. Tim is probably not a lineal descendant because it appears that Aaron Richey’s only son did not have any children.

If you’d like to work on this, here is some basic info we think is correct. Wallace Pat Richey (pictured) is a son of Rudolph Ray Richey (1892-1942), who is a son of Oren Richey (b. 1868), who is a son of John L. Richey (b. 1827). Aaron Richey’s brothers were William, Llewellin, James, and Peter.

WPHS Board of Directors

The newly-elected board members of the West Pasco Historical Society, photographed on May 9, 2018.

Top row: Brian Schmit, Jeff Miller, Terry Kline, David Prace, Ken Weightman, Aidan Woodham.

Middle row: Ann James, Trishia Rich, Dr. Rao Musunuru (honorary), Bob Langford.

Front row: Judith Koutsos, Bob Hubach, Antonia Miernik.

Photo by Georgia Robinson.

Museum visitors

Daniel Gulbrandsen and daughter Shannon Pfaff were visitors to the museum today (5/4). Mr. Gulbrandsen grew up here and is a 1959 graduate of Gulf High School. He had a dairy farm here for many years. Mrs. Pfaff is a 1987 graduate of Hudson High School.