WPHS member Patrick Eddie Russ died on Dec. 1, 2016. He had an important connection with the museum because his grandparents lived in the building when it was a private residence on Little Road. He recently visited the museum and loaned us some photos of the building when it was the residence of his grandparents, Ed and Willie Maude Frierson.
Eddie was born on Sept. 11, 1947. He was a 1965 graduate of Gulf High School. His mother, Mary Evelyn (Frierson) Russ graduated from GHS in 1947. Eddie is pictured here at the Class of 1965 50-year reunion.
In a video clip from 2011 here, he recalls playing in the building as a child. Our museum was built as the Seven Springs school in 1915 but was closed in 1925 when the school district decided to close the small one- and two-room schools. It then became a private residence. It was moved to Sims Park in 1981.