Edward J. Herrmann, a Pasco County historian and a friend of the West Pasco Historical Society who visited us numerous times, died yesterday (10/21). He was born in 1936. He grew up in San Antonio and later lived in Dade City.
He is one of the three authors of The Historic Places of Pasco County, which was published by the Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee in 1992. He also researched the history of post offices in Pasco County. Mr. Herrmann was a founder of the San Antonio Rattlesnake Festival and served as mayor of San Antonio in the 1970s.
Eddie allowed us to publish on the fivay.org web site an article he wrote on the history of San Antonio and another article he wrote about Father Felix Ullrich, pastor of Saint Anthony Church in San Antonio, who also served as the first resident pastor of Our Lady Queen of Peace Church in Port Richey.
Eddie knew of the existence of a collection of high-quality old photos of Dade City, San Antonio, and surrounding towns. Most of the photos were taken by the Dade City Chamber of Commerce in the late 1920s, although some are older. He asked Oliver and Barbara DeWitt of Dade City, who at the time were in possession of the photos, to allow us to scan the photos. They can be viewed and downloaded in high resolution here. Look for “Helen Eck Sparkman Collection,” as we named the collection for the person who originally preserved it.
Eddie discovered that the historic 1909 court house was designed by Edward Columbus Hosford, an architect who designed many courthouses and other buildings in the south. It had long been thought that the court house was designed by a local man, Artemus Roberts. (Roberts was the superintendent of construction.)
Eddie’s father, Joe Herrmann (1912-2002), came to San Antonio in 1925. He was an entrepreneur and philanthropist and an important figure in the early history of San Antonio.
The photo above shows Eddie at the Pioneer Florida Museum History Center in 2012.