Thanks to Carol Szarowicz for donating to us three 1920s photos of the Sims family.
The photos were in the scrapbook of her grandmother, Hattie May Palmer-Sargent, who was a first cousin to Mrs. Sims.
We had seen the photo showing Mrs. Sims on horseback before, because it was published in the New Port Richey Press in 1922, but of course with lesser quality.
The photos show:
George Reginald Sims, the owner of the Port Richey Co., which developed New Port Richey. He is considered the founder of the city. He donated Enchantment Park to the city when it was incorporated in 1924 with the provision that it would be used as a park free to the public forever. City council renamed the park in Mr. Sims’ honor. Sims intended to be buried in Pine Hill Cemetery, but upon his death in 1954 the New Port Richey city council arranged to have him buried in Sims Park, with the family’s permission. However, when Mrs. Sims died in 1965, both Mr. and Mrs. Sims were interred in Sylvan Abbey Cemetery in Clearwater.
Mrs. George Reginald Sims (maiden name Marjorie Bartlett Byington).
George Reginald Sims II, usually called Bunt.
Mrs. Willis or Willice M. Byington (maiden name Sallie Blinn Phillips, mother of Marjorie). Mr. Byington died before these pictures were taken. Both he and his wife are buried in Pine Hill Cemetery.
The Sims home is located at the intersection of Grand Boulevard and Queen’s Lane. Queen’s Lane is said to be named for Mrs. Sims, as she was the first Queen Chasco in 1922.
These photos and some related ones are available in higher resolution here.