Visitors to the museum on May 19 were Tim Richey, his father Wallace Pat Richey, and Tim’s wife Pamela Richey. They believe they are related to Aaron McLaughlin Richey (1837-1912), for whom Port Richey and New Port Richey are named.
Aaron Richey settled at the mouth of the Pithlachascotee River in December 1883 and soon after was granted a post office with the name Port Richey. The family moved to Tarpon Springs in 1891 to be near a doctor, and Mr. Richey later became Mayor of Tarpon Springs. Family members are buried in Cycadia Cemetery.
We looked at census records and were not able to confirm a relationship, but Pamela believes family members do have documentation that shows how they are related and she is currently working on obtaining the records. Tim is probably not a lineal descendant because it appears that Aaron Richey’s only son did not have any children.
If you’d like to work on this, here is some basic info we think is correct. Wallace Pat Richey (pictured) is a son of Rudolph Ray Richey (1892-1942), who is a son of Oren Richey (b. 1868), who is a son of John L. Richey (b. 1827). Aaron Richey’s brothers were William, Llewellin, James, and Peter.