Two visitors to the museum on Feb. 7, 2020, were sisters Louise Rose from Indiana and Judy Perry from Bisbee, Arizona. They are holding paintings which we have at the museum. Judy is holding a painting of our museum which she did many years ago when she lived here, and Louise is holding a painting of a stilt house which was done by Jessie Hyde, the great aunt of both women. The women’s grandmother’s uncle was Mathew Kinney, who came to New Port Richey in 1916. He opened up the section later called the Kinney subdivision on Kenwood Avenue, which he probably named for himself. He lived in the home at 5622 Kenwood Ave.
An event for members and other supporters was held at the museum on Feb. 6, 2020, to dedicate the many new exhibits at the museum. Here are some pictures. (We even had a harpist!)
Among the visitors to the museum on Feb. 6, 2020, were Donna (Robson) Tyrrell and Laurie Baker. Donna is the daughter of Frank Y. Robson (1911-1972), who is believed to have been the first medical doctor (M. D.) in New Port Richey. He moved from Tampa to New Port Richey in 1950. Laurie is a member of the Baker family which has been here since the late 1800s.
The West Pasco Historical Society did a presentation on the history of Pasco County at the New Port Richey campus of Pasco-Hernando State College on Feb. 1, 2020. At the event, WPHS President Bob Langford presented a plaque to Dr. Rao Musunuru, thanking him for being the all-time top donor to the historical society. Here are a few pictures from the presentation. Many more photos are on the Flickr photo-sharing site here.
The seven-minute video showing off the renovated museum with its new displays, which was shown at our presentation at PHSC on Feb. 1, is
This coming Saturday (Feb. 8) is a great day to visit the museum as we will be having an Open House to show off all of the new displays. There will be no charge for admission that day, and our hours will be extended to 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. We will also have a giant tent sale featuring museum overstock items. And of course you can get your picture taken with Johnny Cash.
Mike and Melissa Nurrenbrock were visitors to the museum on Feb. 1, 2020. They are standing next to our model of Stilt House #7 (built by Corby Wetzel of New Port Richey). They and the Misemer family own the actual Stilt House #7 in the Gulf. A newspaper article says owner Sam Allgood built his first stilt house in 1949, but Melissa traces the house even earlier, to John H. Isaac, who came to New Port Richey in 1931 and founded Pasco Hardware.
Gene and Linda Little were visitors to the museum on Jan. 24, 2020. Both graduated from Gulf High School in 1959. Gene’s father was Des Little, for whom Little Road and the Gulf High School football stadium were named. Linda’s father was James E. Grey, a quarterback for the first Gulf High School football team (1930-31), a former Mayor of New Port Richey, and the first male baby born in New Port Richey.
Mark Deeb was a visitor to the museum on Jan. 22, 2020. He is associated with Deeb Inc., a construction company. Mark was a New Port Richey city police officer in 1975-77 and was with the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office in 1980-85. He is pictured with Bob Langford, President of the West Pasco Historical Society.
The West Pasco Historical Society Rao Musunuru, M.D. Museum & Library presents The History of Pasco County, Florida: Pioneers, Railroads, Celebrities, Ranchers, Landmarks, and Folktales. This event will be held at Pasco-Hernando State College’s West Campus in New Port Richey, 10230 Ridge Road, in the Performing Arts Center on Saturday, February 1, 2020—Pasco’s Dr. Rao Musunuru Day, at 7 p.m. with doors opening at 6 p.m.
This event is sponsored by Pasco-Hernando State College and the Musunuru Family. This presentation will be made by the volunteers of the West Pasco Historical Society: Brian Schmit, Jeff Miller, and Bob Langford (pictured).
Admission is free and open to the public. First come, first serve. We hope to see you there!