Madonna Jervis Wise was a visitor to the museum in Sims Park today (3/12). She is President of the Pasco County Historical Society, which meets monthly in Dade City, and the author of several books about history of eastern Pasco County. In this picture, our museum administrator Terry Kline is showing her one of the displays in our museum.
Terry Kline and Aidan Woodham put together a Chasco Fiesta display at the museum, only a small part of which is visible in this photo. March 2, 2018.
Albert and Patricia Watt were visitors to the museum today (Feb. 18, 2018).
Patricia is the artist who did the painting of the home of Thomas Meighan which is on display at the museum. She did the painting in 1985 and presented it to the museum in 2003, but had forgotten that we had the painting on display until she recently saw a picture of the painting on our Facebook page.
Patricia Watt has painted the old historic buildings in New Port Richey and the homes in the vicinity of Meighan’s home. She lives in one of several homes that are on the property which was owned by Thomas Meighan.
Albert Watt is Irish and says he is in his 90th year. Patricia Watt is 82 years old. Albert is Irish; Patricia is from Kent, England. They met in England 46 years ago in the Lake District.
Mrs. Watt will be holding an art show each Saturday in March and April from 12 noon to 4 p.m. at their home at 7124 Jasmin Drive in New Port Richey. For more information, call 727 848-8449.
Missy Brown was a visitor to the museum on Feb. 17, 2018. She donated this old scrapbook from the Ridin’ Hi Saddle Club, of which her father was President. We’ll have some pictures from the 1960s and early 1970s on our web site shortly.
Thanks to Carol Szarowicz for donating to us three 1920s photos of the Sims family.
The photos were in the scrapbook of her grandmother, Hattie May Palmer-Sargent, who was a first cousin to Mrs. Sims.
We had seen the photo showing Mrs. Sims on horseback before, because it was published in the New Port Richey Press in 1922, but of course with lesser quality.
The photos show:
George Reginald Sims, the owner of the Port Richey Co., which developed New Port Richey. He is considered the founder of the city. He donated Enchantment Park to the city when it was incorporated in 1924 with the provision that it would be used as a park free to the public forever. City council renamed the park in Mr. Sims’ honor. Sims intended to be buried in Pine Hill Cemetery, but upon his death in 1954 the New Port Richey city council arranged to have him buried in Sims Park, with the family’s permission. However, when Mrs. Sims died in 1965, both Mr. and Mrs. Sims were interred in Sylvan Abbey Cemetery in Clearwater.
Mrs. George Reginald Sims (maiden name Marjorie Bartlett Byington).
George Reginald Sims II, usually called Bunt.
Mrs. Willis or Willice M. Byington (maiden name Sallie Blinn Phillips, mother of Marjorie). Mr. Byington died before these pictures were taken. Both he and his wife are buried in Pine Hill Cemetery.
The Sims home is located at the intersection of Grand Boulevard and Queen’s Lane. Queen’s Lane is said to be named for Mrs. Sims, as she was the first Queen Chasco in 1922.
These photos and some related ones are available in higher resolution here.
Glenn and Kris Rhodes were visitors to the museum today. They now winter in Florida, but around 1949 to 1953 Glenn lived here as a child. His father operated the Goody Shoppe on Grand Boulevard in Port Richey. He did not remember what the building looked like or where it was located, but we were able to show him this photo of the business from about 1957 provided by Jamie Cardnell and we gave him the location. For a time, Glenn lived in the small house seen behind the business in the photo.
Terry Kline and Brian Schmit represented the West Pasco Historical Society at today’s Antique and Collectibles Appraisal Fair and Silent Auction at Community Congregational Church. Both are WPHS board members. Terry is the museum administrator and Brian is the author of the new book Glory Days, a history of New Port Richey.
Brian Schmit, author of Glory Days, a history of New Port Richey, is conducting walking tours of New Port Richey. More information is at www.newportricheytours.com.
Clark and Beth Carnegie were visitors to the museum today (1/26). They are Canadians but have spent much time in Florida. Clark went to school at Pierce Elementary School and Gulf Junior High School in the late 1930s. The house he lived in while attending school here is just across the street from the museum, at 5613 Sims Lane, so we walked over to it and took the top picture. The older photo shows the home when Clark lived in it. It was the residence of the Ross W. Carnegie family.
Thanks to the New Port Richey Public Library, which recently donated to the museum this beautiful old table. We do not know how old it is.